Limping Toward Justice

An international accompanier's account of her time in a Colombian community engaged in non-violent resistance to the decades old armed conflict.

"Justice...limps along, but it gets there all the same." -Colombian Nobel Prize winning author, Gabriel García Márquez

Sunday, May 27, 2007

rain fallin´on my shoes

(let´s see just how many relevent to the subject matter blog titles i can take from tangled up in blue - which is for some reason on repeat in my head)

We are mud-to-the-knee deep in the rainy season. I´m told the rain will continue until I leave in November. I will probably develop some kind of amphibious trait by then. Today I walked down the mountain from La Unión as the thunder threatened above me and the sound of the slow moving curtain of rain chased me down the hill. I kept my eyes on the clear skies still holding ahead and picked up my pace. I am not faster than rain. I arrived to San Josecito soaking wet and just in time for the sudden storm to suddenly stop.

Our laundry has been going through extra rinse cycles on the line all week long. We had to string up extra lines to make room for all the wash. Damp is the new dry as we struggle with deciding when a piece of clothing is simply too dirty to continue wearing, thus soaping it up and giving it over to the clothesline for who knows how long. After this experience I´d have to say that any of those laundry detergents that claim to have a "rain fresh smell" have got to be lying. Rain fresh mostly smells like damp. Not a smell I´d want to push.

2 Comments:

At 12:42 PM, Blogger freed molina said...

bueno es rico saber que toda esa lluvia llega como aliento de visa pra la tierra que se moja, igual para las perosnas que respiran ese aire de liberaciòn, y la mejor satisafcciòn es el poder ser puente de alternativas de mejoramiento, que aunque este pais nos oprima cons sus politicas, existe algo mas profundo y que nos pertenece y que nada ni nadie nos podra quitar y eso es la esperanza, podemos tener paz en medio de la tormenta, aùn con nuestro mundo hecho pedasos, es esta la guiara nuestros pasos.

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

hm. i can send you some dri weave work out gear. how ridiculous would you look in a neon pink shiny top there? (I'll see if they make dri weave in a brown).

thanks for the updates AJ!! realizing how surreal it was to see you in such a different setting. glad getting back into it has gone smoothly. thinking about you lots - xo love j

 

Post a Comment

<< Home