Limping Toward Justice

An international accompanier's account of her time in a Colombian community engaged in non-violent resistance to the decades old armed conflict.

"Justice...limps along, but it gets there all the same." -Colombian Nobel Prize winning author, Gabriel García Márquez

Friday, June 15, 2007

Young Steven comes ashore

Today I had my very first visitor. That young, guileless spirit of the open seas, who for a short time in Austin joined the land lubin’ pirates of the Good Ship Holly, found himself on a cargo ship from Panama headed towards the Gulf of Urabá. This is very much to be expected from the likes of young Steven Van Maren, who called from a beach not too far away and made plans to meet up in Apartadó. All night rains, a dangerously high river and prior accompaniment commitments meant we had all of 45 minutes to recap our past adventures before I sadly walked away from the only familiar faces who have graced my almost-doorstep. Young Steven and his sea-faring friend, Ernesto Perez (also formerly of the ATX and frequent summer guest of Holly Street) took off soon after on a bus to Medellín with my hastily written instructions for locating the night-time anarchist scene in the great mountain city – a scene any good pirate should find his way to. While there is nothing particularly Colombian about this picture of me and the boys I hope it serves as proof that it is possible to find your way through the Darian jungle and into my life. Young Steven and Young Ernie certainly did and I am grateful to them! Arghhhhh, mates, arghh.

2 Comments:

At 11:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha!! I just saw young Steve in San Francisco (well actually it was back in November but still...).

 
At 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting and informative reading your blog. Glad to see that Stephen is alive and looking well, but I'm looking forward to his return to California! His Mom, Barb Van Maren

 

Post a Comment

<< Home